Friday, August 24, 2012

Leather Bag


Famous for their overpriced, retro looking goods, The J. Peterman Co. (actually here) really does make some cool looking stuff.

Thankfully, this bag did not cost me $349, I think it cost my old man about $20 at the Broadacres Swap Meet in Las Vegas sometime in the late '80s or early '90s. Some guy used to come in from California in a 13 Window Microbus selling army surplus gear and bags. My old man beat me to this find by a few booths.

Unlike Peterman's fingernail scratching aging process, this bag was pretty beat up when Dad bought it. He carried for several years before David either stole or was given it which was actually a pretty amazing feat seeing as how much my old man loved this bag. David helped the aging process by carrying it to art school meaning it has several India Ink stains (a process I intend to share with Mr. Peterman and his Co.).

In turn I either stole or was given it by David. Honestly, I think he gave it to me. I have used it for everything from hauling files to and from work to carrying tools. I love the look of the bag and it hauls a bunch of stuff.

Three problems with this bag:
  1. The strap is to short
  2. The strap is too thin 
  3. The bag holds too much (which, in conjunction with #2 kind of sucks) 
All in all, a GREAT $20 bag.
A sucky  $349 bag.

2 comments:

  1. I had a similar bag, but mine was quite small - it was just the right size to carry a large book and maybe a couple of magazines. It was pretty beat-up but otherwise in perfect shape. Then my girlfriend took it with her when we broke up. I'll never forgive her for it. (And never forgive myself for going out with her in the first place.)

    ReplyDelete