Thursday, August 23, 2012

Electrician's Knives

I've heard these called other names but I prefer electrician's knives.

The top one is a Camillus that my father bought for me many years ago.
The bottom one is actually made by M. Klein and Sons (maker of many fine electricians tools) which was bought at a garage sale a couple of years ago for $2.

I have a third (another Camillus) but it's in my tool bags and I don't feel like going out to the truck to get it. I bought it for about $10 at some weird junk store in San Marcos or New Braunfels. It looked brand new but, unlike the one pictured above, it has a smooth black handle.

I use the top one almost daily. The flat blade is perfect for stripping wires and unscrewing slotted screws. It locks into place which saves the knuckles. I don't keep this blade real sharp.
The "cutting" blade is perfect for cutting. I keep it sharp. For cutting.
The knife is heavy and well made and perfect for general to heavy pocket knife use (meaning you can kind of beat the shit out of it, but don't use a heavy hammer).

To be clear, this is not my pretty knife (that post comes later), this is my beater knife.

I have used this knife for...
  1. Cutting stuff
  2. Stripping Wires
  3. Opening paint cans
  4. Gripping closed in my fist (like a roll of quarters) when I thought some drunk asshole was going to try to beat up this drunk asshole
  5. Opening a can of beans (in conjunction with a hammer, that post comes later)
  6. Other knife type stuff
All in all, a great knife.
In my opinion, a very utilitarian and pragmatic purchase.


 Let me know if you have one of these knives and how you like it.


Electrician's Knife on Amazon
Electrician's Knives on eBay

1 comment:

  1. I am jealous of those knives. I have none like it. Mine are all too fru-fru, mementos adorned with corporate logos and loaded with ineffective tweezers and such.

    ReplyDelete